Thursday 1 February 2018

Teeth

My father's parents came to live with us when I was eight.

Nana was small and brittle, always busy. Not comfortable with children, she used to buy our good behaviour with spoonfuls of honey. She wore an apron with a pocket in the front and it was here she carried her false teeth, only to be put in her mouth when visitors came to the door.

In her early twenties Mum had all her teeth taken out and was fitted with dentures.  She told me she had chalky teeth and was tired of going to the dentist on her own since early childhood. She had no mother and none of her many older siblings could be bothered to look after her.  So among the memories of my mother is one of a small pink plastic pot into which her dentures were popped at night.

This was the image I carried with me as I discussed with Dr M my brand new partial dentures which he had just placed in my mouth.  What did I do with them at night? He told me opinion is divided. In England, dentists suggest taking them out.  In France, dentists suggest to women that they always wear their dentures, so that their husbands are blissfully unaware their spouses are toothless.  Apparently there is no evidence either way as to which is better.

My mouth feels like it has an entire cutlery drawer in it.  I am assured things will improve.  In the meantime, I might just get myself an apron with a front pocket.

9 comments:

  1. Mother had to have some false teeth eventually, when in her eighties. She just could not get used to them and would take them out, then forget where she had put them. We found them in bedside table drawers, wardrobes, under the bath and on one memorable occasion out in the chicken run. One suggestion was that she should put them on a chain round her neck...but somehow that idea did not find favour...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen, I love the thought of the chicken run! I must warn Tod he may find mine in odd places like the wood store.

      Delete
  2. So far I cannot comment from personal experience of having full or partial dentures. I'm sure that you will get used to them though and confidence will improve. My Nanna always wore an apron, but her's was called a 'pinnny'. My first 1/2 year at secondary school was spent making an apron for the second 1/2 year when the class changed ends in Domestic Science - as it was called then - from Needlework to Cookery. It was a garish thing and I only threw it out when we moved to France 12 years ago. Lesley



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Lesley. Of course, it was a "pinny". :) Sounds like the garish apron stood the test of time. The needlework and then cookery sounds sensible. I only ever did needlework.

      Delete
    2. Back in the day class size of 30 and only 15 cookers/hand turned sewing machines dictated the split. Lesley

      Delete
  3. At age 78, I had to get a partial. I had glaucoma problems and the drops that I had to use at that time dried out my mouth and a dry mouth can lead to cavities, which is what happened. So I lost all the teeth on my bottom right side.

    I keep the partial, covered by water, in a pink plastic box. I wear it only when I leave the house and go out among other human beings! Or when someone comes to the house to visit.

    In the beginning it felt as you say so foreign and I had a hard time getting used to it. The dentist told me to wear it all day for a week or so and then I'd get used to it and could wear it when I liked. Also, the gum has to do all its receding from having the teeth pulled. Hope all goes well for you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dee, thanks for dropping by. It's tough isn't it when treatment for one condition then causes other problems in the body. I've been nosy and looked at your description on Blogspot - I love your list of interests.

      Delete
    2. Stop by the blog if you feel the inclination and have the time! Peace.

      Delete